What is a shoulder arthroscopy? Also known as a shoulder scope, shoulder arthroscopy is a procedure in which a surgeon uses an arthroscope (small camera) to visually assess, diagnose and treat a variety of shoulder issues. Due to the small size of both the arthroscope and the surgical instruments, the surgeon is able to use very small incisions. These smaller incisions often result in less pain for the patient as well as a shorter recovery time.
Questions to Ask Your Orthopedic Surgeon Before Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Is Surgery may best option?
- What are the alternatives to surgery and will these alternatives have similar long-term outcomes?
- How long will the procedure take?
- What is the recovery time estimate for this type of procedure?
- How many of these procedures have you done?
- What complications are associated with this type of surgery?
- Will I need to do physical therapy as a part of my recovery and if so, for how long?
- What can I expect as far as limitations in the days at home following the surgery?
- How long will it take for me to return to normal daily activities?
- Will I be able to drive?
- Is this procedure covered by insurance?
- After expressing your expectations, ask, is this realistic?
- How much pain can I expect in the hours/days following the surgery?
- When will I be able to return to work?
- How far in advance will I need to stop taking medications prior to surgery?
As with any medical procedure, it is vital that you be well-informed. Voicing your expectations and making sure that they are realistic, will help to avoid any major surprises after surgery. It is a great idea to bring in a list with you and write down the answers. Take this list, along with any other questions or concerns you might have.
Dr. Nataraj H M is one of the Best Shoulder Specialist in Bangalore with over a decade of experience in orthopedics. He is an Orthopedic Surgeon and Shoulder Specialist (Best Doctor for Shoulder Arthroscopy Treatment in Bangalore)
You can also call 9880032000 with any questions.